Daddy's World
I walk around this shop
where the work is,
where the blades cut
and the fingers bleed
I glance around at the tools
and the scraps and the sawdust
and feel the creative energy
of your life
I smell the grease, the oil, the residue
of tasks unfinished, undecided, undertaken
and the chaos therein.
In this silence, I hear the sounds of the grinder,
the motor, the compressor.
The comforting sounds of your existence,
and your work.
There is a purpose
there is a plan
always busy and working with your hands
always remembering, dreaming, concealing
forgetting...... and losing......
but grasping.
I've walked through shops like this one
in days gone by
that echoed the voices I hear in your world
where tools were for sale
and long left unused
by hands such as yours, now stilled.
I'm glad you're still here
to joke with, and ponder with.
To match wits with, and smile at.
I see my your face in mine
and know that you'll always be here.
I walk around this shop
where the work is,
where the blades cut
and the fingers bleed
I glance around at the tools
and the scraps and the sawdust
and feel the creative energy
of your life
I smell the grease, the oil, the residue
of tasks unfinished, undecided, undertaken
and the chaos therein.
In this silence, I hear the sounds of the grinder,
the motor, the compressor.
The comforting sounds of your existence,
and your work.
There is a purpose
there is a plan
always busy and working with your hands
always remembering, dreaming, concealing
forgetting...... and losing......
but grasping.
I've walked through shops like this one
in days gone by
that echoed the voices I hear in your world
where tools were for sale
and long left unused
by hands such as yours, now stilled.
I'm glad you're still here
to joke with, and ponder with.
To match wits with, and smile at.
I see my your face in mine
and know that you'll always be here.
c2010 Felecia Walls
No comments:
Post a Comment